CABA is a non-profit voluntary bar association founded in 1974 by lawyers of Cuban descent. CABA’s members include judges, lawyers, and law students of all backgrounds interested in issues affecting the Cuban community, as well as broader legal and human rights issues impacting minority communities as a whole.
CABA’s mission is to promote equality of our members; increase diversity in the judiciary and legal community; serve the public interest by increasing awareness to the study of jurisprudence; foster respect for the law; preserve high standards of integrity, honor, and professional courtesy among our peers; provide equal access to and adequate representation of all minorities before the courts; facilitate the administration of justice; build close relationships among our members; provide mentoring and scholarship to law students nationally; and support the indigent community through the funding and administration of an effective pro bono legal assistance project and other community programs.
Of course, the source of the organization’s achievements, development, and increased reach was and will always be its membership’s goodwill and strong sense of community. Through its invaluable members and supporters, CABA supports and serves its community by:
- Providing pro bono legal assistance to the indigent Hispanic/Cuban American community through the CABA Pro Bono Project (the “Project”);
- Promoting access and increased diversity in the legal profession, and assisting Cuban-American law students and law students interested in activities of importance to the Cuban-American community to achieve their full potential, by providing scholarships through scholarships funded by the Cuban American Bar Foundation to deserving law students in accredited law schools;
- Defending human rights in Cuba and promoting a peaceful transition to democracy in Cuba;
- Advocating sound judicial practices and judicial sensitivity training, and encouraging and advising its lawyers on the importance of professionalism and civility; and
- Organizing events, projects, and activities aimed at uniting its members and raising awareness of important community issues.
With your financial assistance and the continued support of other members and community activists, CABA can continue increasing the quantity and quality of services the legal profession renders to the indigent community through the Pro Bono Project, can continue providing scholarships to law students interested in activities of importance to the Cuban-American community through the CABF in an effort to increase diversity in the legal profession, and can continue providing valuable services and opportunities to its members.
CABA, its members, and the surrounding community thank you in advance for your generosity.